Nathan Hardy, Attorney
Mr. Hardy is a skilled advocate with a background in litigation and considerable experience working with and advising public agencies. He also has vast understanding of government ethics and public entity law, in areas as diverse as campaign finance and Brown Act compliance. This background allows him to support the firm’s government relations work, including working closely with special districts, government agencies, public utilities, school districts, and more.
Mr. Hardy previously worked for the Los Angeles City Ethics Commission, where he served as Director of Policy. Prior to that, he was an in-house counsel with Southern California Edison Company, working on regulatory compliance and renewable resource policy issues before the Public Utilities Commission.
Mr. Hardy attended the USC Gould School of Law and was a member of USC Law’s inaugural Legislative Policy Practicum where he assisted with the drafting and research of a juvenile justice reform bill in the California Senate and successfully advocated for its passage. He served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Margaret M. Morrow of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Oversaw the Ethics Commission’s policy and legislative program; made legislative recommendations to improve the City’s lobbying and campaign finance laws; presented staff proposals at public hearings.
- Analyzed City, state, and federal law and legislation affecting the Ethics Commission; advised the Executive Director of constitutional and statutory issues; drafted memoranda and ordinance language.
- Reviewed the recusals of City commissioners for conflicts of interests; led staff studies and conducted outreach to the public and regulated community.
- Successfully advocated for and secured unanimous passage of Ethics Commission’s Audit Policy.
- California State Bar
- Santa Barbara County Association
- Santa Barbara Barristers
- University of Oklahoma, B.A.
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D.