Naomi R. Dewey, Partner
Naomi Dewey is a Partner at Buynak Fauver Archbald & Spray, specializing in client-focused general counsel and litigation services with a focus on employment law for employers, government entities, nonprofits and corporations, along with construction law and government entity tort defense.
For employment clients, Ms. Dewey provides advice on all aspects of the employer/employee relationship. Handling issues ranging from pre-employment screening to employment agreements, employee handbooks and workplace policies, disciplinary matters and release from employment, having a trusted friend in the legal profession can help clients involve costly mistakes.
By getting to know clients and understanding their needs, Ms. Dewey provides legal advice that helps manage risk and enables clients to focus on what is important – their success.
For clients facing legal action, Ms. Dewey is a skilled courtroom advocate who defends her clients’ interests in mediation, arbitration, administrative hearings and at trial.
- Panel counsel to local cities, police departments and educational institutions, providing transactional and litigation services.
- Advised and drafted policy and procedure for government entity clients on a wide range of issues including first amendment rights, high risk activity participation, indemnity agreements and workplace safety.
- Represented clients facing discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination and hostile work environment claims in labor commission proceedings, at trial and on appeal.
- Successfully negotiated the resolution of disputes between neighboring municipalities relating to cost and risk-shifting arrangements.
- Defended against serial litigators, successfully winning vexatious litigant designation and preventing expensive and disruptive lawsuits by barring nuisance suits against clients.
- Represented construction clients and design professionals against defect, design and damage claims.
- Negotiated strategic resolution of claims against local nonprofit agency to prevent damaging publicity and prevent impact on grants and fundraising.
- Drafted employee handbooks, agreements, policies, disciplinary and grievance procedures to protect employers from litigation.
- Advised local business owners on all aspects of business growth and strategy.
- California Women Lawyers – Secretary
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association – Past Secretary
- Santa Barbara Women Lawyers – Past President
- National Association of Women Business Owners, Santa Barbara- MasterMind
- Women’s Economic Ventures (WEV) – Chair, Community Advisory Council
- Santa Barbara Contractors Association
- Judge, Teen Court (CADA)
- Adjunct Faculty, Santa Barbara College of Law
- University of Sheffield, England
- Santa Barbara College of Law